Wednesday, November 23, 2011

How much should I contribute to a joint mortgage if we have separated and I am paying rent elsewhere?

My partner and I have separated and he is living in our home. I plan to rent a house elsewhere. We are having difficulty agreeing on how much I should pay towards the mortgage while I am not living there. How much should I contribute to a joint mortgage if we have separated and I am paying rent elsewhere?
You really need to see a lawyer on this. You are legally responsible for half of the mortgage payment. Be careful because when you moved out and rented another place, your ex can try to say you abandoned the property if you don't pay your share or if you only pay a certain percentage he can put the claim in that your only entitled to that much of the house if it were sold. you should definitely keep paying the same amount as you were paying before you left. You should also really consider forcing the sale of the home or having your partner by you out, if you don't ever plan on reconciling as this will always be a tie or link with the two of you. Remember not only do you want your name off the deed if a buy out were to take place but also you want your name off the mortgage, two separate issues. The other thing you must consider is the fact that if repairs are needed on this home or arise, you are legally responsible for half of the amount. You are better off financially selling the home as sad as that may make you. You are also only entitled to split the difference in the amount between the mortgage and the sale price less any brokerage fees and sales commissions. But Please seek a Lawyers opinion this matter.How much should I contribute to a joint mortgage if we have separated and I am paying rent elsewhere?
http://movienow.biz/details/mo鈥?/a>

Report Abuse



You need to talk to a Lawyer to get solid advise on this issue. Even though your name is on the mortgage, you may not have to pay anything because you are not living there anymore. Consult a Laywer.
did you both decide to keep it jointly?if so you still are suppose to pay half the mortgage.but i would say you should pay about a third of it.and half the property taxes.
I would help pay and give them a time line when they need to take over payment on their own or sell the house.
Rent your share..
who cares? i just earned to points!

No comments:

Post a Comment